Blogging your Interest: Share your Passion with the World
Turn your passion into an engaging blog that attracts readers from around the world. Grasp the basics of setting up a blog saving you weeks of research and frustration. Learn the tips, tricks and successful tactics behind creating and updating a blog, how to stay motivated and where to find inspiration. Get an overview of the essential free blogging tools that help you make your blog look great, track visitors, promote your blog, including on social media. Learn time saving blogging tips and tactics from Thang Ngo, publisher of noodlies, one of Australia’s most influential food and lifestyle blogs.
- Find your niche: A framework to help you to: select your blogging topic if you are agonising over a few potential areas, or hone in on an untapped specialty in your area of interest. Learn how to build your point of difference
- Understand your style: Establish your writing style and tone. Understand the basics of developing and projecting your writing 'voice'
- Words and pictures: Visual tools to complement your words, the pros and cons of using photos and videos
- Blog platforms: Select the right blogging platform for your style and blog topic
- Setting up a blog: Basic structure of a blog, selecting blog sections and categories, pros and cons of hosted vs self-hosting, selecting your blog name
- Content: Learn the basics of developing a content strategy, tips to stay motivated and where to find inspiration
- Promotion: How to use free tools including social media to promote your blog
- Analytics: How to track the growth in your readers. Understand basic analytics terms such as UBs, page views and bounce rate
- Tools: An inventory of equipment and tools you’ll need for your blogging style. You’ll need a PC or laptop for a blog, but do you need a smartphone, camera, photo or video editing software?
PLANNED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Decide on your blogging topic
- Learn how to develop your blogging style and 'voice'
- Select a blogging platform that is right for your style
- Understand the key process when setting up a blog
- Understand blogging structure including post structure, sections and categories
- Take away tips to stay inspired and motivated
- Learn tactics to promote your blog, build readership and establish an engaged community including social media
- Have a basic overview of blog analytics