| || |
WEA Sydney will maintain policies and procedures that assure the safety, integrity, accuracy and currency of our records, and will protect them by such security safeguards as it is reasonable to take against loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, or other misuse.
WEA Sydney will safeguard any personal information that we, or anyone acting on our behalf, might obtain.
WEA Sydney will obtain only such personal information as is necessary to enable the organisation to conduct its business and for no other purpose, unless the person concerned consents to its use for that purpose, its use is authorised under the Privacy Act, or it is required by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) for audit purposes under the provisions of the VET Quality Framework 2011, or by the NSW Board of Adult & Community Education.
WEA Sydney will seek such information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
Wherever practicable, WEA Sydney will obtain personal information only from the person concerned.
WEA Sydney will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date.
WEA Sydney will provide a person, on request, with access to their personal information or will provide reasons for denying access in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act.
If a person establishes that the personal information WEA Sydney hold concerning them is inaccurate, incomplete or not up to date, we will take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
At the time of collecting personal information, or prior to it, WEA Sydney will take reasonable steps to advise the person concerned:
- That they may have access to the information,
- How they may contact us to gain access,
- The purpose(s) for which we collect the information,
- The name of any organisation, or type of organisation, to which we may disclose the information,
- If the information is required by law, and
- Any consequences if the person fails to provide all or part of the information.
If it is not practicable to advise the person at that time, or prior to it, WEA Sydney will advise them as soon as practicable after collection of the information, including any instance where the information is provided by a third party on that person’s behalf.
WEA Sydney will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de identify personal information that is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained.
WEA Sydney will not disclose personal information we have collected from a person to a third party without the written consent of the person concerned, except where it is required:
- By law,
- To comply with the Standards for NVR Registered Training Organizations 2011,
- To lessen or prevent a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety; or a serious threat to public health or public safety, or
- As part of a necessary investigation into suspected unlawful activity, and its use or disclosure to relevant persons or authorities.
WEA Sydney will obtain written permission from any person or organization for the use of any advertising material that refers to them, and will abide by any conditions of that permission.
WEA Sydney will maintain a summary available for inspection by the public, of the nature of the personal information we keep in our records, setting out, for each type of record:
- The purpose(s) for which it is kept,
- The category of individuals about whom it is kept,
- The period for which it is kept,
- The persons authorised to have access to it and the conditions of access, and
- Steps to be taken by persons wishing to access their records.
Adopted by the Board of WEA Sydney 7th March 2003, resolution B03/17, and endorsed for inclusion in WEA Sydney’s policies & procedures, via the July 2009 Director’s Handbook.